Keeping in mind the specific nature of the industry, Transneft Kama Region, JSC, pays close attention to safety of workplaces. The system of the employees’ life and health safety during their work activities includes legal, social and economic, organizational and technical, medical and preventive, rehabilitation and other measures and initiatives, one of which is compulsory knowledge of the occupational safety requirements.
In 2007, in compliance with the OHSAS 18001 international standard, the subsidiaries of Transneft, JSC, including Transneft Kama Region, JSC, embarked on adoption of the Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS). The system implies the present-day approach to recognition of occupational health and safety priorities when planning and performing company activities and is an integral part of the respective management system. Transneft Kama Region, JSC, set up the Coordination Board responsible for OHSMS deployment and operation; the Board consists of leading specialists of the Company.
The Policy in Occupational Safety was enacted by Order No. 28 issued by Transneft, JSC, on February 13, 2008 and by Order No. 201 issued by Transneft Kama Region, JSC, on March 11, 2008.
To be recognized as a company compliant with OHSAS 18001, the international occupational safety standard, Transneft Kama Region, JSC, carries out consistent work, which includes several focus areas: information distribution, training, audit, the work of the Coordination Board, identification of hazards and risks. The basic work that included the preliminary and certification audit of compliance of OHSMS with the requirements of the OHSAS 18001 international standard, and the certificate issuing was completed in Transneft Kama Region, JSC, in 2009.
POLICY OF TRANSNEFT, JSC, IN OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY
Transneft Occupational Health and Safety Policy
Being a key element of Russia’s energy sector that ensures its final performance, Transneft sets the protection of life and health of its employees and provision of safe working conditions as the highest priority of its activity.
Fully realising the scale and technological complexity of its activities, Transneft shall develop a main pipeline transport and perform works in such a manner as to minimise the risks and prevent the threats of workplace accidents and occupational diseases of employees.
Occupational health and safety principles of Transneft:
- the life and health of employees have a higher priority than production performance results;
- each employee is personally responsible for his or her own safety, has the right to stop and must refuse to perform works not complying with the safety requirements;
- all employees are involved in activities relating to reducing workplace injuries and occupational diseases;
- managers of all levels play a leading role in matters of ensuring safe working conditions;
- important health and safety information is open and readily available.
Occupational health and safety responsibilities of Transneft:
- compliance with the requirements of the Russian legislation, international agreements of the Russian Federation, occupational health and safety standards;
- continuous improvement and perfection of occupational health and safety.
To comply with the above principles, Transneft sets the following goals and objectives:
- plan and take actions aimed to prevent workplace accidents and occupational diseases;
- ensure occupational safety and safe working conditions for employees in operation of buildings, structures, equipment and business processes;
- plan and take actions aimed at providing employees with personal protection equipment for protection from dangerous production factors corresponding to the modern level of science and technology in occupational health and safety;
- ensure proper functioning of systems for monitoring and control of occupational safety and working conditions at workplaces;
- conduct a dedicated assessment of working conditions and levels of professional risk;
- provide sanitary and utility services and medical support to employees in compliance with the occupational safety requirements; conduct statutory preliminary and regular medical examinations of employees;
- inform employees about occupational health and safety and working conditions at workplaces, relevant health risks, measures to protect from harmful production factors and occupational hazards;
- minimise the risks and prevent the threats of workplace accidents and occupational diseases;
- conduct regular training on safe methods and techniques for performing occupational safety works and to test knowledge of occupational health and safety requirements;
- improve the occupational health and safety management system by means of timely development and update of corporate guidelines and occupational health and safety regulations, and clear distribution of employees’ rights, obligations, and responsibility for compliance with the occupational health and safety requirements;
- allocate organisational, physical and financial resources to ensure proper functioning of the occupational health and safety management system and taking occupational health and safety measures;
- ensure personal responsibility of managers and relevant employees for compliance with the occupational health and safety requirements;
- maintain a positive image of Transneft as a company focused on protection of life and health of its employees;
- improve production culture, educational and professional level of employees in the area of occupational health and safety;
- take into consideration opinions of employees and other stakeholders in performing occupational health and safety activities.
Transneft believes that compliance with these provisions is a key to ensuring an optimal combination of the Company’s interests and society’s socio-economic needs in the field of occupational health and safety.
N.P. Tokarev, President of Transneft, JSC